Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Sting of Death

But in it's own way, death comes to us all. Whether it snatches us quietly from the night or gives us a few days left to fight, you can't evade it. Relish the journey. Relish the steps. Know that no matter what goes on in this world, life is worth living.
When I heard the news, I couldn't help but wonder why. So young a soul to go this way, so many bright years ahead. Well he fought with the devil for about seven days, but the devil got the best of him. I thought about his family and the ones he left behind. I thought of the ones pining for his existence, left alone in this dark world. To be so young and to go this way. Some things just shouldn't be done. R.I.P. Jon.
Then a few days later, more news comes. Another young man with a heart of gold and so many places to go. He laid his head to rest one night and away he did go. Twenty one years under his shiny belt, and he was just plugging along. Enjoying life splendidly, singing his own song. I met him on my first night in that strange new town and his friendly eyes smiled down at me and helped me to feel at home. Now I guess he is home, according to some, but according to me, I just don't know where all these young kids go. Maybe their hearts just float around up there, appreciating the view. Or perhaps they just look down on us and keep us all in check. Making sure none of our young souls join them on that swiftly moving track. Sometimes life can't be explained, this I've come to know. Just take it day by day and go by what you know. We all have good in us somewhere. Find the goodness in your heart to let these people go. It's not easy, but not much is in life. Be strong and remember that life goes on. We never have to leave or forget the ones we love, we do need to accept that their gone gone beyond our reach. It might be easy to want to join them in the house beyond the hill, but we still have work to do here. They had their time playing this game and it ended far too quickly. Keep playing your game for them. Live a life that will give them a reason to look down here on all of us once and awhile and smile and remember that, "life is short, but sweet for sure." Soak it in. Live it up. Who knows how long we have here?
Remind the people that you still have around you that you care about them and appreciate them, because all life is connected. We are brothers and sisters on this earth.
I may feel confused at the deaths of these young men, but who the fuck isn't? To lose great people at such a young age is a tragedy, but what can we do but move forward? "Decide what to be and go be it." Make your dreams as real as anything. Give them something to watch and look at, wherever they are, but whatever you do, don't give up on life. No matter how many tragedies occur and no matter how much grief comes your way, have the ability to see that there are still good things going on here. The flowers still open up to the sun adn the birds still chirp along and that in itself is enough of a reason to make me smile. R.I.P. Jon and R.I.P. Nomo. You will always be remembered in our hearts and minds. Good luck out there, wherever your journey takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment